The Meeting for April 2009 was conducted successfully. Although the turnout was less compared to last time, we had a mix of attendees from various walks of life.
Time: 2:00pm – 5:30pm
Venue: Internet Club, IInd Floor,
AMI Trust Building,
Attendance : 24
Agenda: Community Based Curriculum ( 2nd round )
The continuation of the previous meeting discussion, started slowly as many of the people who attended the last meetings could not make it this time.
The objective of the initiative “Community based Curriculum” was explained. The intent of the discussion of the present meeting was explained and everyone began discussing about what was needed for a strong foundation for IT/ Computer Science curriculum in schools.
Few important points from the meeting were captured:
- Students need to gain information handling skills
- Secure computing skills
- Application/ Hardware testing.
- Collaboration skills.
The action items were as follows :
- Define a foundation for a curriculum or rather build a base ( a set of objectives) for a curriculum/ syllabus.
- Create a wiki with a draft of the important points discussed forming a foundation.
- Make the initiative a core project for ilug cochin and the swathanthra software community.
- Formed a core action team to coordinate the activities for the initiative.
- Arrange a meeting once the wiki is setup, before next ILUG Cochin Meeting
- Continue the discussions in the next meeting.
Technical Presentation – Bash Scripting by Kurian
The basics of the command line were explained to the attendees. Bash scripting was explained through simple programs :
- Backup program
- Program to download streaming videos and store them to disk in free software formats.
The conditional loops and basic elements were explained through the above programs.
The meeting ended with sreenadh describing the experience with students at Thodupuzha during the vacation class. The meeting concluded by reiterating the plan to realize the “Community based curriculum” by ILUG Cochin. The coordination team for the initiative was formed as follows after many of the attendees volunteered :
Sreekanth T R
Kurian Mathew Thayyil
Saju T Abraham
Vinod Chandran R
Harikrishnan T R