February 2011 Meeting Details
The meeting of the “Indian Libre User Group” was successfully held on Febraury 27th 2011.(4th Sunday of Every Month)
Following is a brief snapshot of the meeting.
Time: 2:15pm – 5.30pm
Venue: Internet Club, IInd Floor, AMI Trust Building,
Broadway Enclave, Broadway, Ernakulam
Attendance : 12
2.15pm – 2.45pm
- Customary Self Introduction.
Some topics that were discussed:
- General Free Software Troubleshooting Discussions
- Free Software for Doctors
- Concept of machine model in curriculum
- FreeBSD Partitioning
2.15pm – 3.45pm
Agenda : Customizing Free Software for our needs. Important Points discussed.
- Basic concepts of Free Software
- Application configuration at the user level
- One level deeper – advanced configuration
- Localization without source code
- Software optimization (for performance) with source code.
- Jumping into the source code
- Learning programming
1. using mutt for accessing and sending email
- installing and configuring mutt
- features of mutt
- sending mail using mutt
- mutt aliases
2. arista gtk transcoder
Arista is a simple multimedia transcoder, it focuses on being easy to use by making complex task of encoding for various devices simple.
2. Synergy keyboard/ mouse sharing application
Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It’s intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own display.
3.Configuring Internet through a mobile phone using wvdial
4. gnome subtitles
GNOME Subtitles is a subtitle editor for the GNOME Desktop environment. It supports the most common subtitle formats and allows for subtitle editing, conversion, and synchronization by using a friendly user interface.
FFmpeg is a complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
6. virtual box
VirtualBox is a free x86 virtualization solution allowing a wide range of x86 operating systems to run on a GNU/ Linux system.
FreeDOS aims to be a complete, free, 100% MS-DOS compatible operating system
5.00pm – 5.25pm
Discussion on ILUG Cochin Stall at CUSAT:
- People were requested to handle small technical discussions for the next meeting.
- All people who came for the Meeting were thanked.
Thanks to all the attendees for coming and they are requested to put their feedback on the mailing list so we can improve future meetings.
Next meeting : 27/03/2011
Send your feedback about this report to contact at ilug-cochin dot org