Warm Greetings To The Free Software Community,
The meeting of the “Indian Libre User Group” was held on December 26 2010 successfully.(4th Sunday of Every Month)
Following is a brief snapshot of the meeting.
Time: 2:00pm – 5.30pm
Venue: Internet Club, IInd Floor, AMI Trust Building,
Broadway Enclave, Broadway, Ernakulam
Attendance : 13
– Customary Introduction
– People shared their experience with Free Software.
2.15pm – 3.15pm
– Brief Introduction to ILUG Cochin and its activities.
– How to be a part of ILUG Cochin.
Discussion on Concept of Free Software and other topics
- Introduction to Free Software
- History of the GNU Movement
- History of GNU/Linux
- Concept of an Operating System, Kernel
- 32bit vs 16bit machines
- What is Source Code, Binary Program
- Licenses – GNU GPL
- Concept of Copyleft
- Open Source Software and its Difference with Free Software
- Drawbacks of proprietary software
- Discussion on how freedom to study and freedom to modify can be used
- Concept of Community
- Development of Software through Free Software community
- Commercial Model
- Creative Commons
Discussions on things that happened in the Free Software Community in 2010.
- Android and other Free / Open Source Operating Systems on the Mobile Platforms
- Explosion of Mobile and Hand Held devices like Netbooks, Tablets. Need for Free Software on these Platforms.
- LibreOffice and the Document Foundation http://www.documentfoundation.org/
- – Diaspora Social Networking https://joindiaspora.com/
- Free Software social Networking platforms – gnewbook.com elgg.org
- UNESCO study of Free Software in Kerala
- Issues concerning privacy, freedoms.
1. Tiny core linux
Tinycore linux is a small 10MB distro. The presentation talked about how to use tinycore linux and its possibilities.
2. Tiddly Wiki
Tiddlywiki is a web based notebook application, that uses client side scripting to store information in the same file. The presentation talked about using tiddlywiki to store notes.
audio/ video encoding and Manipulation tool.
3. Using Fdisk
Fdisk is a console utility for managing partitions.
Discussion on using diaspora.
5. Troubleshooting Discussions.
– People were requested to handle small technical discussions for the next
meeting. (suggestions from attendees: Diaspora, kernel programming, network simulators)
– All people who came for the Meeting were thanked.
Thanks to all the attendees for coming and they are requested to put their feedback on the mailing list so we can improve future meetings.
Next meeting : 23/01/2011
Details of the meeting available on the web site at
Send your feedback about this report to contact at ilug-cochin dot org
Website : www.ilug-cochin.org
IRC : #ilugkochi on irc.freenode.net
ML : mailinglist at ilug-cochin.org