The meeting of the “Indian Libre User Group” was held on July 25th 2010 successfully.(4th Sunday of Every Month)
Following is a brief snapshot of the meeting.
Time: 2:00pm – 5.30pm
Venue: Internet Club, IInd Floor, AMI Trust Building,
Broadway Enclave, Broadway, Ernakulam
Attendance : 22
- Customary Introduction
- People shared their experience with Free Software.
2.40pm – 4.00pm
Discussion on Concept of Free Software and other topics
- Introduction to Free Software
- History of the GNU Movement
- History of GNU/Linux
- Concept of an Operating System, Kernel
- What is Source Code, Binary Program
- Licenses – GNU GPL
- Concept of Copyleft
- Open Source Software and its Difference with Free Software
- Drawbacks of proprietary software
- Free Software and Freeware
- Discussion on how freedom to study and freedom to modify can be used
- Concept of Community
- Development of Software through Free Software community
- Copyright aspects in other areas like Music and Movies
- Commercial aspect of Free Software
Emacs is a powerful text editor.
2. Mencoder/ Mplayer
Mplayer is a powerful and versatile Multimedia Player and Mencoder is a audio/ video encoding and Manipulation tool.
3. What is LTSP
Linux Terminal Server Project(LTSP) is a Thin Client/ Diskless Node server.
4. Creating a Bootable USB Storage Device with RMS GNU/Linux
RMS is mostly SLAX, A complete Libre distribution based on slax. Can be used on USB Drives and has a small footprint.
5. Troubleshooting Discussions.
- People were requested to handle small technical discussions for the next meeting.
- All people who came for the Meeting were thanked.
Next meeting : 22/08/2010
Website : www.ilug-cochin.org
IRC : #ilugkochi on irc.freenode.net
ML : mailinglist at ilug-cochin.org