Warm Greetings To The Free Software Community,
The meeting of the “Indian Libre User Group” was held on May 23rd 2010 successfully.(4th Sunday of Every Month)
Following is a brief snapshot of the meeting.
Time: 2:15pm – 5.30pm
Venue: Internet Club, IInd Floor, AMI Trust Building,
Broadway Enclave, Broadway, Ernakulam
Attendance : 27
- Customary Introduction
- People shared their experience with Free Software.
- Introduction to Free Software
- History of the GNU Movement
- Licenses – GNU GPL, LGPL, Concept of Copyleft
- Open Source Software and its Difference with Free Software.
- Other Licenses and Operating Systems like BSD.
Agenda : Community Based Learning Centers,
- Discussions started with moderator explaining the concept of a Free Software Community Based Learning Center (CBLC).
- Although the audience were confused initially on the idea of CBLC, they were able to understand the crux of it through examples.
- Since the discussion was as usual a brainstorming, there was no plan/ blueprint to implement.
- Several people shared the experiences with Free Software and teaching and excercising the four freedoms.
- The discussion had drifted to a serious topic of lack of contribution to the Free Software Movement.
- The 2nd and 4th Freedom (Freedom to study and modify ) was not being excercised by the majority.
- Many people pointed out the lack of Development/ Contribution groups or communities, also many people pointed out lack of initiatives in User Groups.
- The discussion was wound up with many people planning to give a thought to building the next generation Free Software community, from children with their energy and to imbibe the culture of contribution by equipping them with knowledge.
- A case study of the “Free Learning Institute” as a CBLC was taken up and discussed in brief.
Technical Presentation : Basics of Shell Scripting
- Introduction to Bourne Again Shell
- Explained the working principle of a shell using a small C Program.
- Gave an introduction to built-in Environment variables and user-defined Environment
- Discussed about the following commands, which are good for daily use.
top, ps, links, elinks, lynx, mplayer for playing vcd,dvd, and audio cd, extracting audio-cd files,
vcd and dvd using mplayer, virtual console,
- Audience responded by asking several questions
- Because of the late start of the presentation the actual topic could not be reached, hence the rest of this presentation would be continued at the next meeting
- The usually short concluding session last almost half an hour.
- IB Manoj of the Free Learning Institute, explained the aims, objectives and future plans of the Free Learning Institute.
- Suraj Kenoth invited all to the Swathanthra Malayalam Computing Camp being held at the Free Learning Institute on 24,25 May.
- Jay Jacob announced a small Development/ Contribution Kickstart camp on 29/05/2010 from 2pm onwards at ILUG Meeting Venue.
- Few people volunteered to take technical presentations for the month of June.
- The Malayalam translated interface of tux paint screen shots were shown to the attendees.
- All people who volunteered for the Meeting were thanked.
- Everyone was requested to exchange feedbacks with the meeting volunteers.
We thank all the attendees for coming and urge them to put their feedback on the mailing list so we can improve future meetings.
Next meeting : 27/06/2010
- Jos Collin
- Lentin Joseph
- Praseed Pai K.T
- Thomas V Vettical
- Nishanth A I
- Avin M Antony
- Nighil Thomas
- Paresh Palicha
- Raju Ramdas
- George John
- Faisal P P
- Harshad P A
- Sinu John
- Prasanth S
- Kevin Sha
- Manoj Kumar I B
- Harikrishnan T R
- Manu Ram
- Deepak S P
- Jigu E V
- Thomas M Vazhapilly
- Saju George
- Jay Jacob
Website : www.ilug-cochin.org
IRC : #ilugkochi on irc.freenode.net
ML : mailinglist at ilug-cochin.org